Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Tuesday morning here. Athens is 10 hours ahead of Medford Standard Time. I finally got to sleep around 1am in the hostel. I was trying to figure my way around my dorm room with no lights on so I wouldn't wake everyone (I couldn't have figured out how to turn the lights on anyway). I was pretty proud of myself but  shouldn't have bothered as four yahoos woke up at 230am and showered, talked and had a velcro party, constantly zipping and unzipping suitcases and other junk. On the other end of the spectrum, it's 9am and there is still one guy sleeping.

I was up at 6, showered and walked around the Acropolis trying to get my bearings. Also got some breakfast and coffee. Will do a walking tour with a history professor and an archaeologist this am.  Then I will go to the national Archaeological Museum during the heat of the day and then maybe take a bus tour to Piraeus (hoping to see the long walls that kept Athens from being stomped by the Spartans (for a while) in the Peloponnesian War. Then back to the Acropolis Museum during the evening. Happy hour at 8 here at the hostel. Missed yesterday's trivia night.

Greek is seriously tough to figure out. Two different styles of writing it. I'm getting the hang of it though. A little worried about renting a Citroen car tomorrow. Besides the fact that I don't relish driving a French car in a dangerous place, they have stop signs at almost every driveway meant to tell people to stop before entering the big road (duh) but they face the big road so it's hard to tell which signs are for me and which are for the other guy. Whatever. I'll just drive like the Greeks and ignore them all. Gotta go. Can't sit around jawing with the homies all day. Will post when I can.

Don't have any good Athens pics yet, but this is an idea of the parking situation around the city. Teeny little cars. Excellent parallel parking skills.

3 comments:

  1. Haha! A French Citroen! Why not get a smart car like in the pic? that'd be so cool!
    Anyway, I am writing this at 11:30pm so I assume it is 9:30am there, which is coincidental since you posted on the blog at 9:00am. I must be the first one to read it. You are really, really doing a good job blogging so keep it up! I tried to call you just now but it just beeped like the line was busy. I also texted you. why don't you blog the phone numbers of the hostels you stay at if the employees speak english so that i can talk to you!

    See ya.
    Conor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Dad! Sounds like you're having fun though. Keep up the good work blogging! It's fun to see where you've been!
    Love,
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some guy called you about a consultation. I told him you'd call him when you got back. 1-866-207-5545

    ReplyDelete