Sunday, July 29, 2012

Athens and Crete

There was the example of hubris where I was driving in Athens evening freeway traffic and I was feeling very confident and actually said to myself, “Kev you are the man!” That statement (even to myself) is an example of having hubris – overbearing pride. This angers the Greek gods and they send nemesis to bring me back down to earth, in this case with the help of my GPS which said something I couldn’t really hear (above the sound of my own self-congratulation) except the word “right” but the GPS seemed somewhat urgent, so I moved right to be ready, after which she tells me to Exit left. Usually she gives me so much time that it is confusing. But not on the freeway. She’s Janey on the spot. I was able to make the exit due to superb reaction time (uh-oh more hubris).

Then I had to climb over a curb to get a parking spot somehow missed by the Athenians.

More later. Coming into port of Heraklion Crete after nice sleep on overnight boat.

Got off the boat and looked around with a dumb expression for a while wondering what to do at 6am. I knew I needed a hotel and there was one I’d seen from the boat that looked good – the Megaron. I felt that 99 euros was a decent deal. I know many travelers would be going out of their minds at the sheer cost but have they checked out the prices of Travelodge in Montana during basketball season. I figure I’m doing well, seeing as how there is a rooftop pool with an harbor view and an awesome breakfast. I recommend it. It’s a little eerie as there is hardly anyone around. Might be a Russian mafia place, but I’m minding my own business.

Saw the Archaeological Museum in Herakion which has awesome artifacts that are all over our textbooks. Unfortunately they are doing restoration so they only have a very small room with the best stuff. Kids – you’d love it! I read all the plaques and spent a while anyway. And it was only steps from my hotel. Then I was going to take a double-decker convertible bus out to see the ruins of Knossos and everything else on the tour. But it was Sunday and the bus doesn’t run. So I figured out how to take the city bus out to Knossos but by the time I got there it was high noon and blazing hot. Luckily for me the heat bounced back off the ruins into my face to keep me doubly warm. Horrible! But not to complain. I am glad I saw it, and especially glad I saw it without kids. Some moron brought his two kids six and seven years old and you can only imagine their boredom and pain.

This a.m. I go to Santorini (which is the site of ancient Thera, which the Minoans blew up to make a tourist resort for us! Actually a massive volcano around 1400 BC blew it up and began the beginning of the end for Minoan civilization, who, weakened by having their Cretan island probably swamped and many killed, were taken over soon by the Myceneans. Off to learn about them now (if I can find something I didn’t already know!) (Yikes – hubris. I don’t know squat!)

Almost 7am. I have to run down for my awesome breakfast. Oddly enough they are always trying to shove cookies into your hand, even at reception. But they’re fancy cookies and not at all to my palate’s liking. But I bet they’d be expensive. And they’re very proud of them. So I’m doing my best, “Oh no I’m full. I couldn’t possibly eat another cookie!” act. Little do they know I could put down quite a few cookies if they were Oreos or something.
 Leaving port of Piraeus. I did get to see a remnant of the Long Walls built to protect Athens, Piraeus and the road in between.


 This is the most famous fresco from the Minoan times showing their distinctive art style and their favorite game of bull-jumping. I tried it but I still prefer golf. (just kidding....about the trying it...not the golf part.)



 Massive clay jars meant to hold honey and or wine.


The reconstructed palace. Some believe it was reconstructed pretty poorly. Looked ok to me.

1 comment: